Friday, December 27, 2002

Correspondence

An early morning missive. (In the style of an 18th century British novel.)

Dearest M --

The manor has been quiet of late, though father's experiments in the basement have terrified poor Martha. I tell her that science can only be accomplished through trial and error, but the silly girl prattles on about the poor mice interminably.

I now have only four days of work at the paper mill remaining. The work is hard, but I pray it may make me a better Christian, or at least a more astute and cunning one. The forman has been easy on me of late; knowing my intentions to leave, he has resolved to be light in his use of the whip.

You may ask, dearest M --, why, if I live in a manor do I work in a paper mill. If you ask that, you must have missed the last letter, with all the news of the frightful tragedy.

But pray do not trouble yourself, The days have mostly been light, the entertainments cheerful, and the climate exquisite. I am sure we will see one another again soon, and the necessity of these epistles will gladly slide away.

Yours always --

C ---