Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Animated

I have a love/hate relationship with anime (that is, animated TV shows and movies produced in Japan).

On one hand, I like the way that anime owes virtually nothing to our Americanized Disney concepts of animation and what it can do. On the other, though, the animation in the shows is often very sparse and stylized. My eyes still can't get used to those technical aspects.

All of this is brought to mind by Cowboy Bebop, an anime show about a bounty hunter's adventures in the future. Rented it on a whim last night, and have been watching through it this afteroon (this being my copy editor's Saturday and all).

It's beautifully done, albeit with the shortcoming I mentioned. The sense of style is unmatched, and the music is wonderful. Kind of a jazz/delta blues/pop mix.

One of my favorite anime films, Metropolis, also shines in its use of music. The score for that is based on dixieland jazz, with an unforgettable cameo from Ray Charles. You owe it to youself to see this movie.

I'll keep you updated on Cowboy Bebop.