Saturday, January 4, 2003

Long haul

Whew.

It's the day that never quit. I've been up since 4:30 a.m. (Not to harp on the time issue, since others doubtless get up then -- my mother, for one -- but it was tough).

I was searched at an air security checkpoint. The guard was very nice, and the lady who searched through my luggage looked at it all with kind incomprehension.

I heard a host on the Delta in-flight radio use the word "iconoclast" to mean "iconic." (This will be a style file entry very soon. Don't you worry).

Picked up the final bit and pieces of my stuff from the former roommate in Lawrence. It was good to see him, but I was with my father on possibly the longest car trip of my life or any other. No joke. We were in the car for six hours plus. This is including the five-hour plane trip. Death to commutes!

Bought a cup of coffee in Henry's, my beloved Lawrence coffeehouse. (Note: Two years ago, I wrote a piece for the University Daily Kansan about the area's coffee hot spots. Henry's won hands-down. The link goes to that article.)

Was not able to see Nathan W., one of my best friends since middle school. I may be able to see another such person tomorrow or the day after, though.

Was able to spend some sustained time at home and show my mother, father and sister an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. They were vastly amused.

And I got cool Christmas stuff. List to come.

Otherwise, I'm really, really tired.