Wednesday, January 8, 2003

Early paper

The old head is tired this evening.

However, before I shuffle off to less-tiring pursuits, I'll presents some highlights from the El Dorado High School Crier. The issue in question comes from November 28, 1994 -- roughly 8 years ago.

I was a staff writer and cartoonist at the time, focusing my energy on the editorial pages. I'll take a look at the rest of the paper as well.

Front page

"Powder puff football turns out to be a big success," is the top headline. "Boys aren't the only ones who can have fun playing football," writes news editor Roshni Patel. "Four teams of El Dorado High School girls showed that they also can have fun scoring touchdowns and making interceptions."

Underneath a picture of Nikki Smith and Kendra Fowler playing said game, staff writer George Rothwell tells about a new scheduling plan that could soon be adopted. "Block scheduling is an eight-period program that could be implemented next year, according to Ken Petz, El Dorado High School Principal," Rothwell writes.

Editorial pages (2-3)

Along with three cartoons by yours truly, the editorial section featured opinions about random drug testing, "petty labels and stereotypes," Thanksgiving, and advisee periods.

I write a column, titled: "New highway coming to El Dorado, positive influence of Wichita business doubted."

"Even if you despise El Dorado and can't wait to get out of the city," a younger, much stupider me writes, "I don't think a single person here would want to put up with the criminal, urban-decay ravaged nature of much of Wichita." Mmm-hmm.

Features pages (4-5)

Besides a story about the school musical (Guys and Dolls, of course), what catches my attention is a movie review by Scottie B. and Stephanie M. "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective a must see for all," is the headline. "We both agree that while this movie is pretty stupid, it is a must see," the authors write.

Sports pages (6-7)

Who really gives a rip about sports?

Some random ads on the back of the paper round out this issue. This was the first semester I worked on the Crier, and it shows. The column I wrote was uninformed and ridiculous to anyone with the slightest knowledge of Wichita (I didn't have much). But that's high school for you.