Monday, July 14, 2003

Putting It in Perspective

Heat-related annoyance aside, I've had a semi-startling realization in the last couple of days.

I'm pretty happy.

Now, I'm not at exactly the perfect job, and it's not in exactly the perfect place. But I am, by and large, content. I'm doing work that I enjoy with people I respect. I have friends, though perhaps not as many or as close as I would like. And I have a person I care about.

These things are what it's all about. If I kicked the bucket in some unexpected way tomorrow, it would surely suck. I still have a lot I want to accomplish. But I would still accept it. Because I've achieved more than I thought I could. And I've done things I never imagined.

And there is love all around me. It's easy for me to ignore it, or act all ironic, or just gripe. But that doesn't change the fact that it's there. And it doesn't change the fact that I need and appreciate every bit of it.