Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I Decline

Mr. Will has started a copy editing blog. As this blog was originally intended to be something of the sort (before being sidetracked by the miscellany that is my mind rationed out in paragraph-sized bits), I thought I'd add some of my own recent gripes. Please direct any criticism of my opinions to Will. It's all his fault.

Newspaper writers to often lean on tired, stereotypical language.

An annoyance to me is using the word “decline” to mean “refuse” or “wouldn’t.” The usage will be familiar to anyone who has read a news article about police or politicians.

“The detective declined comment about the allegations.”

“The governor’s aides declined to elaborate on his remarks.”

In both of these cases, “decline” is used to soften the blow. There is something wanly elegant suggested, as if a hack politician’s aides told the reporter: “Sorry, old chap, but I have to decline to answer your frightfully on-point query.”

But people don’t often talk that way, and they certainly don’t talk that way to nosy reporters. The aides probably said “no comment,” or “are you out of your bleepin’ mind? I’m not answering that!”

These people are refusing our requests. They are turning down reporter’s questions. They don’t want to tell readers what’s going on. Don’t let them hide behind the fussy verb “decline.” Tell it like it is:

“The detective wouldn’t comment on the allegation.”

“The governor’s aides refused to elaborate on his remarks.”