Friday, August 22, 2003

A Visit to the Dealership

I took my car in today.

The little orange "Service Engine Soon" light came on as I was driving home yesterday evening. After doing a bit of panicking, I checked the ever-reliable web. The consensus was that the light doesn't signify something horrible, but rather suggests politely the car might need a looking-at. Panic subsided.

This morning, however, I brought the car to the friendly neighborhood Saturn dealership. The man in the shop told me I had some sort of leaking hose connected to the vacuum system in the car. Or something like that. It wasn't particularly expensive, in any case.

I realized, though, that the man could have told me anything was wrong with the car. He could have said, "Mr. M, you have a nasty boll-weevil infestation in that engine of yours." And I would have nodded and said, "Make sure you kill those little buggers."

So they killed off the insects, or replaced the hose, or whatever. And thus -- viola! -- no more orange light.